"The Fine Life" of MC Preetham

Regular ramblings of MC Preetham on - Bangalore, Party Half-life, Page 3, Books, Movies, Food, Wine, Cigars and 'God knows what else?'. Simply put, "The Fine Life".

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Emcee, Stand Up Comedian, NJ, VJ, RJ, Wine Taster, Food Connoisseur, Entrepreneur ... phew ... and the list shall go on. Mostly found at the end of a mike.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Mission : Six Six Six

The Omen - 2.5 / 5.0
Mission Impossible III - 3.0 / 5.0

Well this week was all about the movies. It was just shoot, shoot, shoot (for those who don't know me, I am a Net Jockey cum Producer for Sify's Bangalore Live) until Wednesday (07 Jun 2006), after which I intended to get some "Inspiration Space". This means I get to watch 3 DVDs each day, which I effectively did. But this doesn't distance me away from the Silver Screen.

Just for kicks, a sweet friend and colleague - Black Tongue (real name not mentioned for obvious reasons) & I wanted to watch the remade version of The Omen on 6/6/6 at 6:06 pm in Inox (a popular multiplex in Garuda Mall, Bangalore). She was a little skeptical about the same, you know how women are when it comes to scary movies ... Oops I forgot to tell you why I nicked her Black Tongue - it's because whatever she utters, just comes true. Not that she can go onto winning a Lottery whenever she wants to, but more like she has a sixth sense that puts her in the right place.



Anyways, I was at the Inox counter at sharp 6:06 pm (weird !) and managed to make a few last minute calls to get the tickets, which I did. But here is the crazy part, the guy at the booking counter later told me that exactly 6 tickets remained unsold from F6 (6th row, 6th seat) onwards (ok! that's carrying it too far, the last part was just absolute rubbish). The remake was nowhere as good as its original and didn't have the much required consistency. The casting could have been better, the music was just a sham, the acting was pathetic (but the Doberman would get a 4.5/5.0) and the budgets were low. But hey!, what the heck, I would still give the movie a strong 2.5/5.0 - watch it if you really have time to strangle. Rest assured, the movie ticket would add to our souvenir collection.

But here's a sincere help out, MI:3 was a complete let down. Each sequel seems to be getting worse. They didn't have much money for the project and it shows. The stunts are not as exciting, the women aren't as great and there is a serious lack of high-end gadgetry. At the very best, it was an attempt at a 1980s James Bond flick. Watch it if your girlfriend's out of town, you don't want to stay home and your fingers don't want to respond to another video game. But I would honestly suggest a pair of binoculars to be more exciting than this movie. Being as generous as I am, I would give this movie a very hesitant 3.0/5.0 - only because the plot was inspired from a Dan Brown book "Angels & Demons". Watch out for Anti-God.

A few of the movies I got to watch on DVD and how they fared:
Syriana - 3.5/5.0 (Oscar Type)
Ball and Chain - 2.5 / 5.0 (Indian American)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - 1.5 / 5.0 (Action Mystery)
Taxi 9211 - 2.5 / 5.0 (Indian Funny with Rona Dhona ending)

If this week has taught me anything, it's that : When alone in depression, be more alone than ever. This would get you to realise that the state of depression is still better.

Here is a little trivia for you -
666 is a sign of luck in Chinese culture. The number 6 sounds like luck, so 666 is three-times lucky.
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia (phew!) is the fear of the number 666 - Number of the Beast.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karthik Shetty said...

how on god's green earth can MI3 get a 3.0 out of a possible 5.0??? MI1 was good, MI2 was bad, MI3 was a total waste of money, time, actors, ideas(?)... Come on Preetham, you're slipping up. Were you high on wine while doing the review?

00:04  
Blogger MC Preetham said...

To Karthik Shetty

Here are three reasons why M:I:3 merits a 3.0 -

a. No trace of Katie Holmes
b. Philip Seymour Hoffman ... (his acting is impeccable)
c. My GF threatened to tar and feather me if I gave it anything less than 3.0.

Well, I do go by your take though. I think M:I:3 deserves anything between a 2.0 and 3.0 depending on who you are - the guy who paid 500 bucks for the ticket or Katie Holmes. :-)

12:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home